My friend and fellow writer Christa Wojo posted a blog a few weeks ago in which she listed 10 of her favorite things. She followed this by challenging her friends and readers to do the same. I promised that I would take her up on that challenge. Unfortunately, I have been in the throws of a major flare up for the past 2 ½ weeks. So, I haven’t done much in the way of writing. That is why I have not updated my Blog.
I’m back now, so I am fulfilling my promise. This list will exclude the obvious God, babies, family, friends, spouse… and delve a bit into my personally relevant favorites. So, without further ado:
1. Good well water. I live out in the country. I also grew up in a country type area near the entrance to a Game Reserve. We had a well. We also had excellent clean, sweet water. Thirst quenching water! The few times in my life that I have lived within City Limits on City water, I have been sorely disappointed by the taste that dribbles from the tap. I believe that water filters certainly have their place. But, if I had my druthers, I would drink from a clean well every time. And since I do have my druthers, I live in the country with a good well and cool sweet water straight from the tap! I love it!
2. Living fearlessly in a free country. I do realize that there are issues at hand that threaten our freedoms everyday. But, just to be able to lay down in my own bed at night and watch television, read a book or simply drift off into slumber without fear of being attacked or blown up or any other horrific thing that often occurs in other countries. It’s a wonderful thing!
3. Knowledge and Wisdom-I read a book once by Jaqueline Carey and one of her characters states, “All knowledge is worth having”. But, knowledge is no good without wisdom. Without wisdom one may either misuse the knowledge or simply not know what to do with it at all. I am so happy to have access to so much knowledge. And I pray daily for wisdom. One is no good without the other.
4. Hot baths. Oh how I love to sink in a scalding hot bath! My husband, Troy, swears that my skin will peel off. But, it’s not really scalding. It’s just a hair’s breadth away though. To feel every muscle in my body relax as I sink in, close my eyes and let my mind wander. It’s glorious!
5. Reading! I love a good story! I enjoy learning new things! I am so thankful to be a free woman in a free country allowed to think, read, learn and express myself at my own leisure. When I think of all the women in the world who have not been allowed access to learning and especially reading…it just breaks my heart. I’ve always live by the motto that , “If you can read, you can learn to do anything”. I believe it’s true. I love every moment of reading; from selecting my chosen material to lying in bed with my book or tablet or magazine…whatever it is that I’m reading. My heavens what a priveledge!
6. Silence- I love to have a little peace and quiet. In this chaotic world, there is so much noise. Even in our own homes we constantly have something going. Weather it’s the T.V. running in the background or just a fan spinning to circulate air. Nothing beats turning everything off and just letting my mind settle. I know that at least for me, I often don’t realize that something is bothering me until it stops. Suddenly I feel this blessed release. And I think, “Wow, I had no idea that was causing me so much aggravation.”
7. Walking in a natural environment- I love having the use of my legs. But, I think that even if I was in some way incapacitated, I would still want to be able to get out and “walk” down the shaded path. I would still appreciate and desire to enjoy the sight of goats and cows grazing. To take in the beauty of the surrounding plant life. To be close to nature. So, please, when I am in a wheel chair, take me out like a baby in a stroller. We don’t have to talk, let’s just be out in nature.
8. Music- I love music of all kinds. I often say that I don’t care for Rap or Screamo. But, if it has decent lyrics, I will respect the devotion to their art. If, on the other hand it’s just a bunch of garbage about killing, I don’t have much use for that. At least not enough to sit and try to decipher the words. Still, music speaks to my soul and for my soul more often than I can speak for myself. You can often tell if I am upset because you will hear quite a lot of music coming from my direction. Often, a specific song or play list on repeat. I usually sing along even though I’m not a great singer. Still something about turning up the music and singing along is cathartic.
9. Singing- As I said, I am not really a great singer, but, I love to sing. I especially love to sing with strong female songstresses like Jennifer Nettles, Reba McIntyre, Adele…It’s actually a pretty good workout. And it feels so empowering to just close my eyes and belt out those lyrics. It is preferable that no one be around for this atrocity! But, still fun and empowering. Please be advised, if you attempt this, it is best to do in your car with the windows rolled up and not the shower. But, you MUST KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN! Heh! Heh!
10. I could never complete a list of my favorite things without acknowledging my sweet tooth! Of course chocolate, as I said in a previous post, is my drug of choice. But, there are so many delectable treats out there. Such as cheesecake, cream puffs, ice cream… and my number one favorite sweet treat? My Husband. I know that some of you may think that is corny. But, truly, he gives the sweetest kisses.
So there you have it. My list of favorite things. What’s on your list? Please comment below. Also if you’d like to see the original challenge posted by Christa Wojo, head on over to My Sweet Delirium. Link to follow.